ALS, also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is a neurodegenerative disease that is progressive and affects the brain nerve cells and also spinal cord.
“Amyotrophic” basically in the Greek Language means “A” equates to no and “Myo” refers to muscles, and “Trophic” means nourishment. So, in short, it means no muscle nourishment, and when the body does not have adequate nourishment, it leads to wasting away, also known as “atrophies.”
Now lateral in this term means the identification of the place of a spinal cord of a person in which there is a portion of nerve cells that helps in signalling and controlling the muscles which are established.
As the area with the nerve degenerates, it slowly causes scarring or hardening, known as “sclerosis” in the region.
With the help of a Neurologist in Ludhiana, you can diagnose your problem, get rid of such complicated conditions, and treat it accordingly.
Who Is More Likely To Get ALS?
Almost every 90 minutes, somewhere in the world are diagnosed with this health condition. And some even pass away because of it.
People who are in the age group of 40 to 70 years old are most likely to suffer from ALS. The average age of people who are more likely to be diagnosed with it. That being said, people who are younger, i.e., in the twenties and thirties, also suffer from it.
ALS is more likely to be noticed in men than women, around 20 %. But with the growing era, the percentage and incidence of ALS are more equal between women and men.
Almost 90% of the ALS diagnoses have occurred without any genetic cause or family medical history. In contrast, the remaining 10 % of cases are genetically caused with the help of a mutated gene that has a known connection to the disease.
Military veterans are more likely to be infected by ALS than the average public for some unknown reason.
What Are The Stages Of ALS?
With the help of the Best Neuro Hospital in Punjab, you can learn all about the condition in detail to treat it accordingly.
After the condition of ALS starts, it is unstoppable. Instead, it progresses daily. People who suffer from such issues find it difficult or lose the ability to write, walk, dress, swallow, speak, and even breathe. These symptoms or stages also shorten the lifespan in general.
Some of the early signs that indicate ALS are stiffness and muscle weakness. Progression, wasting, weakness, paralysis of the muscles such as the trunk, limbs, and those that have essential functions which are generally followed.
What really is different in all those who have ALS is the progression and its speed. How fast the symptoms would occur is what determines the risk. The people who have ALS have an average survival age of Three years, but it is also seen that people are able to push it to five years at max. Only 10 % of the population with ALS are able to survive ten years, and 5% are able to survive 20 years or longer.