Epilepsy Surgery In Punjab
Best doctors For Epilepsy Treatment In Ludhiana, Punjab, Epilepsy surgery is a medically advanced procedure performed for individuals diagnosed with seizures. The epilepsy surgery is performed to take out the specific part of the brain where attacks occur. Although, the surgical approach is not the first choice. One of the Best Neurologist in Punjab only suggests this approach when at least two anti-seizure medications prescribed cannot control the situation. During the procedure, pre-surgical tests are done to better understand the problem and what further needs to be done. At Neuro Life Brain & Spine Centre, you will be given advanced and personalized care depending on your condition.
“Around 70% of Individuals Who Got Temporal Lobe Surgery Find Seizures To Stop.”
What if you don’t get epilepsy surgery on time?
Surgery is the best choice when medications are not effective. Medically it is referred to as refractory epilepsy or drug-resistant therapy. The surgery aim is to stop or limit the severity of seizures. If the problem is not controlled, then it is likely to result in several complications like
- Physical injuries during a seizure
- Memory becomes worse or other skills
- Drowning, if the attack occurs during a bath or swimming
- Depression and anxiety
- Developmental delays in children
- Sudden death (One of the rare complications)
What are the types of epilepsy surgery?
Epilepsy seizures are likely to occur when abnormal activity happens in the brain cells. Your surgical approach will vary from another person depending on where the neurons are present and your age. Here are the different types of surgery that you can get by the neurologist when you visit one of the Best Brain Hospital in Punjab:
- Respective surgery
Respective surgery means removing one small part of the brain. During surgery, brain tissues are cut in areas where seizures are present. Such surgery is done of the temporal lobes who main is to control:
- Visual Memory
- Language Comprehension
- Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy : LITT is one of the less invasive surgeries which can detect the brain tissue with seizures and destroy the same. During the therapy, MRI is done, which makes it easier to direct the laser where the issue is.
- Corpus Callosotomy : Corpus Callosotomy is used to partially or entirely remove the part of the brain that connects nerves present on the left and right sides of the brain. This surgical approach is usually preferred for children who have abnormal brain functioning.
- Deep Brain Stimulation : The device is implanted in the brain permanently. It helps by releasing timed control electrical signals, which are why seizures occur.
What are the procedures used to diagnose the problem area?
Different surgical procedures are used to check the main problem with the brain activity and to understand better how it can be handled:
- Baseline electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Language Comprehension
What happens during epilepsy surgery?
While the epilepsy surgery is done, your heart rate, oxygen levels, and blood pressure are checked to ensure no problem. Through the EEG, the brain waves are limited, which helps better record the brain area & make the specific part separate, which is having seizures.
The surgery is done under general anesthesia so that you are comfortable throughout the surgery. Although the chances are rare, you will awaken, that is done to ensure your body movement and control of the language part of the brain is not affected.
Cost of Epilepsy Surgery In Punjab
The cost of epilepsy surgery in Punjab, on average, is around Rs 1.8 Lakhs. You will only get to know about the total amount after consulting the neurologist.
Schedule your initial consultation
Are you diagnosed with epilepsy seizures? Don’t delay the need to get medical assistance. Schedule your initial consultation at Neuro Life Brain & Spine Centre to seek best possible care for your condition